Ergonomics studies the work, work environment, and tools you use in your job. Office ergonomics aims to set up the workspace in a way that suits your job. When your workspace is correctly set up, you can:
- Prevent having eye strain or headaches
- Reduce back or neck pain
- Prevent injuries
- Lose weight
It is common for illnesses and injuries to happen during work, costing you as well as your employer money and time. Moreover, injuries can make you sedentary, making you move less, leading to weight gain.
Office ergonomics helps you work comfortably and prevents you from gaining weight in the long run. Moreover, it can lower injury and stress caused by repetitive movements and awkward posture. It prioritises your workspace set up by focusing at:
- The way you sit and the duration of your every position
- The way you execute your tasks, your movements, and how often you do specific movements
- Your workspace, including temperature, noise, and light
- The things you use at work and whether these are installed to suit your needs
Ergonomics and Exercise
Naturally, your body likes to move. People had to search for food daily to survive during ancient times, so it was natural for people to move. Fortunately, these days, we can still exercise to feel great, just like how people had to search widely around to provide food on their tables in those old days.
People these days have become a fan of workstations that allow them to stand or sit back anytime and comfortably while working. Note that an ergonomic lifestyle is a combination of walking, laying down, sitting, and standing. Therefore, you must not be working for long hours in one position. Moreover, you must protect your eyes since it is the most affected body part in aging.
Aside from laying down, standing position places less stress on your neck and back. Research suggests that people should do a one-to-one ratio of standing and sitting, while some indicate a ratio of three to one, which means you should stand for 45 minutes and sit for only 15 minutes during work.
To ensure that you are doing the right thing, take note of these:
- Level your eyes with the monitor top, bend your elbows to a right angle, and set monitors in front.
- If it is your first time doing the standing setup, start with 5 mins per hour and increase the time gradually every day. Make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes.
- Distribute your body weight evenly on your feet and your left and right leg. Make sure you stand with feet facing forward, tummy tucked in, shoulders down and back, and ankles in line with your hips.
The sitting setup is the most common setup. To make the most of this type of setup, take note of the following:
- If your chair is not adjustable or you cannot adjust the seat, armrest, back support of your chair, and you cannot tilt it back, purchase an ergonomic office chair.
- The upper portion of your screen must be level with your eyes, and make sure your forearms are parallel to the ground.
- Make sure your chair has lumbar support.
Other Ways to Lose Weight While Sitting
Aside from using an office chair Singapore, there are other ways to lose weight even while sitting in your ergonomic chair. To lose some pounds even while working at your office table and chair, follow these tricks:
1. Get Rid of Unhealthy Snacks
When your table drawer is full of tempting and unhealthy snacks, chances are you won’t be able to resist them, especially when you are under a lot of stress or boredom. Eating some chips from time to time may seem okay, but in reality, it slowly adds to your weight.
2. Drink Plenty of Water
Drinking a lot of water is advice that you will hear frequently. When you get too focused at work, you tend to forget the importance of staying hydrated. To make things worse, your hunger may be a result of your thirst, making you consume more than what you need. Drinking water can keep your tummy full while aiding in flattening your belly.
3. Activate Your Abdominal Muscles
Most people sit on their office chairs with bad posture. Note that slouching can harm not only your whole back but also weakens your abdominal muscles and harm your organs within. To work your abdominals while sitting on your ergonomic chair, sit straight and engage your core by contracting your abdominals.
Try to imagine you are pulling and bringing your belly to your chest. Hold the position for ten seconds, then relax. Repeat the exercise at least ten times for three sets. Engaging your abs will help tone them and keep a good posture.
4. Work Your Thighs
Why not tone your legs while you are at it? You can work your thighs even while sitting on your ergonomic chair. To do the exercise:
- Make sure there are no wires within reach.
- Slowly raise your right lower leg until it is in line with your chair or hip.
- Hold it for five seconds and lower it down slowly.
- Do this 15 times and switch to the other leg. You can do this exercise at least three times per day.
Ergonomics and exercise are two things that should go together. If you have both, you can lose weight faster, more safely, and healthily. While losing weight, you can enjoy other benefits such as better posture and overall health.
If you want to buy office chair Singapore, you can check out our ergonomic chairs at Ergomeister. We offer the best at a reasonable cost. We also deliver our chairs quickly, with assembly included!
Make your life easy and comfortable and lose some of that extra weight at the same time. Don’t think twice! We offer top-quality ergonomic chairs in Singapore!
Shop now to get the best Ergonomic Chair in Singapore!